Sunday, July 6, 2014

Gulab Jamun

After having a simple dinner mom declared she had made Gulab jamuns today. Both me and my sister sat up excited. Why werent we told about this before? Because we both would togther gobble up more than half of them and skip dinner mom answered.

Gulab Jamuns are my favourite sweet dish, it is the only reason why i attend parties! My brother who loved kheer more demanded why gulab jamuns were cooked and not kheer. He also mused to why the gulab jamuns were named like that. They neither had roses (gulab) nor had black plums (jamuns) in it! Gulab jamuns do have rose essence in it i replied as whiffs of cardomom and rose water from kitchen made its way to my senses .

Next thing i see is an elegant bowl of borosil in front of me filled with rust brown gulab jamuns swimming merrily in a thick sugar syrup . I was tempted to lift them right off the bowl from my bare hands but sanity prevailed as i caught my mom giving me a tough stare.

I transferred one carmel dumpling into a spoon and then to my mouth savoring its sweetness as a drop of syrup dripped out on my chapped lips. Yummy!

I like to eat my Gulab Jamuns when it is warm and soft and so borosil bowls are perfect for them reheat and eat in the same bowl even hours after it has been made.

This post is an entry for the My Beautiful Food contest organized by Indiblogger in association with Borosil